Monday, August 20, 2018

August 20, 2018 Souira Kedima, Morocco

Weak Wi-Fi but I can send messages. A unique little village, Souira Kedima. L'Arganier is an amazing structure of a dream for a luxury resort, but cancer took the creator's life at 90% completion, and to add insult to injury the town had been fighting developers. But the son, Ali, has been operating the hotel portion with a couple of helpers, a woman I've not met and a retired fisherman, Husan. 

Husan is very interesting. Another guest and myself sat in his hovel of a shop/room with dim lights and listened and tried understanding his Arabic stories through his sign language and us trying to repeat back what he said. A very surreal setting and opportunity to experience this culture. These moments are the reward for all the effort required to get here.

The name of the hotel is after the argon tree which apparently only grows south of here in Morocco, but there is one out back of the hotel; I'll take a picture of it before I leave. It has a lot of medicinal and cosmetic uses. I met a cyclist here and he and the proprietor and the proprietors cousin hang out, smoke a little and drink a little; alcohol is not consumed publicly here.

Hope all is well back in the USofA. I haven't heard much news, so I'm contentedly out of the loop. I haven't missed a swim since Rabat, so all is well here.

 An especially good note: I was expecting summer tempuratures over 100°f in Morocco, but I'm finding out the coast is 15° cooler than the inland. And I won't go inland until October 5th when I travel to Marrakech. However the ocean is cold again 😮; but not near as cold as Portugal in May😁

No comments:

Post a Comment