Tuesday, August 14, 2018

August 14, 2018 Casablanca

2018-08-14:  GD
 Purchased my train ticket to El Jadida for tomorrow. Once I get to El Jadida I'll need to get a taxi to Sidi Bouzid, 5 kilometers away.

From here on out is where the education in transportion moves to the next level. No more trains after El Jadida 😮

But there's a bus company named CTM which may prove to be valuable for my future travels in Morocco, and possibly Western Sahara, Mauritania and maybe Sénégal. We'll see.

Is trying to communicate without skills stressful? Just a little. But for critical communication I type my communications in to my phone on Google translate and let them read the translation.  Like today when I bought my ticket, he spoke English, but the way I pronounced my destination he almost sold me a ticket going the opposite direction. I showed him the translation and he caught the error thank goodness. We had a little chuckle while I wiped my forehead 🤣
 North to El Hadid. I was going south to El Jadida. I pronounced the J like an H as in Spanish. They actually pronounce their Js. I gotta watch out for that one 😎

 So after my last message I stopped off at my favorite sandwich shop where I'd been communicating in broken French, pointing and nodding to the proprietor, and he using the same communication techniques. Well today I got there too late they didn't have anymore sandwich meats. But explained to me that he did have cheese and if I wanted a cheese sandwich from what I discerned. We'd been communicating like this for a week and he had a good idea of what i would like so I would nod with enthusiasm when he offered something. But when I wanted to ask about something out of the normal I used my Google translate to French and handed it to him to read. Turns out he doesn't really know French that well and changed the translator to Arabic. We both had a good laugh when it was all said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment