Friday, September 7, 2018

September 7, 2018 Aftas Beach, Mirleft, Morocco

Yeah, this swim venue is giving an education though. It's not like I can just swim my 40 minutes and get out. I've got to learn the currents and the rocks.

The life guards are very capable and keep an eye on me. They are developing their knowledge of my capabilities and I'm learning about the behavior of this beach, the tides and the swells.

It's actually a very interesting opportunity and education. The beach is consistent at the various tide positions. I wait for them to tell me when it's okay.

And staying safe is my priority. My first attempt today I backed off. The LG said it was okay, but I wasn't ready. I told him it seemed too rough and I because the tide was high I couldn't see where the rocks were. So later when things calmed down and the rocks were exposed better he signaled me and gave me the royal okidokie. I have yet to have someone to tell me to get in the water😁

Well when the tide is high, that's when the water level is higher and it covers up the rocks (which the locals have there locations memorized). I don't want to get caught swimming over the top of th and have a big wave come down on me at the same time. Low tide the water level is lowest and all the rocks are completely exposed, but that doesn't mean that's the safest time to swim. When the water is at its lowest point the breakers are breaking over shallower waters and that's called Beach break and they might slam you into the bottom.

So with the lifeguard's help I'm figuring out the currents and the rocks and the preferred tide depth.

Like I say, I couldn't have it any better here. Challenging with supervision.

No comments:

Post a Comment