Saturday, September 29, 2018

2018-09-29 Lifeguard Team at Atas Beach, Mirleft, Morocco

These are the 3 lifeguards who patrol Aftas Beach. They've been very helpful and supportive of my daily swims. Elhossine Changli, Mohamed Bihya and Oussama Mirleft meet me everyday before my swim with the current conditions of the ever-changing Beach. The rip channel has moved from one side of the beach to the other over the course of my 27 swims. Sand has been washed away from the submerged rocks on the right making them more of a hazard.
These fellows along with other local lifeguards were called out in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago to rescue lost refugees from the ocean after their boat capsized. These lifeguards were able to save some of them, but by the time they had arrived on the scene it was too late for some of the others. This was a rogue vessel without radio communications so immediate response was not possible. That any could be rescued was a miracle.
I'll always remember my time in Morocco, and the many beaches where I swam and the many lifeguards I met along the way. But most of all these 3 gentlemen here at Aftas Beach have displayed knowledge, skill and concern for my safety. Aftas, as they say has a new face everyday.











No comments:

Post a Comment