Thursday, May 10, 2018

May 10, 2018 More Intro - Allmar Hostel, Sines, Portugal

No, no motorcycle, just beaches. I sold the motorcycle back in November; I believe it went to a perfect new home. 

I knew it had too many miles on it for another such trip, and even though it ran great, there were repairs (an oil leak from crack in case ~$2,000) and maintenance (valve adjustment ~$500) that made it unfeasible to pay $90/month to store. I made sure the buyer knew all about these costs and sold it very cheap, so I can sleep at night knowing we both got what we needed.๐Ÿ™‚

I planned this trip solely around swimmable, clean, safe beaches (according to the reviews anyway - yes Gail, beaches get reviews ๐Ÿ˜‚). 

However, by beginning at my northern most Aibnb/beach here in Sines, Portugal (about the same lattitude as San Francisco) in May, I'm encountering the coldest possible sea temperatures that I can stand for my daily 40 minute swim @60F. It's not dangerous, just challenging for a really old man๐Ÿ™„! But as spring/summer progresses and I travel south through Portugal, Spain and into Morocco, the sea and air temps should improve the comfort of my swim.

So from my introductory email you're probably up to date on everything so far. Not sure if you are aware that Todd and Nicole had a baby back on July 9 last year. So most Sundays from September to February 2017 and April 2018 were spent visiting there beautiful little family and bouncing Frankie Lee on my knee๐Ÿค—!

This trip is proving to be much different than Peace Corps or the motorcycle trip. This first Airbnb is 33 days, so I don't get around as much. I try to swim every single day, and I've joined a yoga class for 3 days per week. As much as I've enjoyed exercising over the years, I've never been much for exercise classes. But on this trip it's a nice way to not only learn some yoga, but to immerse with locals. My other goal is to read the books that I brought along.

No comments:

Post a Comment